Thursday, June 28, 2007

I agree to pay for a tune-up for the General Lee due to some trade deals with John Schneider, aka Bo Duke. The young version of JS pulls up to the gas station where a group of us await. Upset, he crawls out of the driver's side window and hands me the bill, which is $1400. 'I had no idea it would be this much,' he says. 'Maybe we can split it.'

Needing financial advice, I call Chris Cornell and explain the situation with the deal and the outrageous bill for the car. Chris is apparently working on a new record at a studio in Canada. As I say hello, he immediately launches into a mellow yet terse diatribe about cars and record labels both being obsolete through their own fault. He tells me to put John on the phone. 'Here, it's Daisy Duke on the phone' I say to John, knowing instinctively that if he knew it was Chris on the other end of the line, he wouldn't take the call.

Suddenly, I am riding in the passenger side of the General Lee and Carlos D, bassist for Interpol, is driving us to the beach. He has cut and dyed his hair to look like Kurt Cobain, wearing aviator sunglasses, and begins explaining the marketing plan for the new Interpol album.

'For the last CD, we only had interns helping us promote it,' he says. 'This time out, we all agreed to take 5% of our salaries and invest it in a real PR agency.' At this point, he pulls out a crude, dog-eared, hand-written receipt from a diner-type pad that has, in red crayon, '$1,000,000' written and scratched out, and beside this, also in red crayon, 'minus 5% equals our spending budget for this CD'.

'You've got some great coverage in the Times and New York Magazine so far,' I say. 'And the picture of you fishing under the bridge is really effective.' Carlos looks at me for a moment, puzzled. 'I don't remember that picture being taken,' he retorts, 'are you sure it was us?'

Suddenly the car stops and he asks me my band's web url. 'It's hoyisnow.com', I say, 'geddit?' Carlos begins to laugh and says 'That's a really, really great web address!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home